Zealots Of Shiverpeak

A Guild Wars Guild

Forum Login Oddity

Post any changes, ideas, or anything that concerns the Forums here.

Forum Login Oddity

Postby odinkranz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:29 am

This is an odd issue. I can log into forums and stay logged on at work with no problems. But at home (and seems to have only started early this year) that I get kicked out of forums everytime I view a new topic or somesuch or just even reloading a new page. The only differences between work and home are IE and Java. Work uses IE7 and Java 6u18, home is Firefox (latest) and IE8/IE9 and the latest Java. Internet settings is the same on both locations. Any ideas?

Can exclude pretty much about registries, cache etc coz my PC just went into a clean reinstall so that pretty much eliminates all of that. This has been tested out on both my rigs at home. Same problem.
*The tongue like a sharp knife... Kills without drawing blood. -Buddha*
odinkranz
ZoS Member

Re: Forum Login Oddity

Postby Xo-Twinblade » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:17 am

i have the same issue when i use firefox, thats why i dont use it.

rather than love than money than faith than fame than fairness... give me truth
Xo-Twinblade
ZoS Member

Postby Meat Shield Darbin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Not sure how much Java script the web page makes use of (guess I could view the code) but Java is generally the culprit on how a given version works with the browser not the browser itself. I have the same problem with a Web UI I own for a product and when ever we change the java back end different browsers log you out as near as my engineering team can determine on the release of Java the client is running.

At one time or another I have had the problem with IE7, Fire Fox 3.5.x & 3.6.x Chrome (various versions), Opera 10 and Safari (every freaking version) as I have to test them all (e.g. Safari = Run the hell as far away as you can as fast as you can...).
Meat Shield Darbin

Postby odinkranz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:49 pm

I had a feeling it could be Java also. Since I've tested 3 major browsers on different machines with it. Well, I tell the teachers in school and the annoying students to stay the hell away from Chrome to eliminate surfing problems. But no... don't know which part of the brain just stops processing after they conclude to themselves "I hate IE". Yes... but too bad. Only browser allowed in govt agencies etc is IE7 and tested stable to read all local govt websites. Guess that's why my engineers say, use it or lose it. :lol:
odinkranz
ZoS Member

Postby Meat Shield Darbin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:40 pm

odinkranz wrote:I had a feeling it could be Java also. Since I've tested 3 major browsers on different machines with it. Well, I tell the teachers in school and the annoying students to stay the hell away from Chrome to eliminate surfing problems. But no... don't know which part of the brain just stops processing after they conclude to themselves "I hate IE". Yes... but too bad. Only browser allowed in govt agencies etc is IE7 and tested stable to read all local govt websites. Guess that's why my engineers say, use it or lose it. :lol:

Actually Firefox 3.6.x with No-Script plug in is a wonderful thing. Much more secure and stable than IE of any variety. The only problem with it is you have to enable java scripts for sites you trust and you can enable them for session only as well.
Meat Shield Darbin

Postby Belorn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 am

Not sure why, but I can say that others are having the same issue with phpbb forums (the forum software we use). Some have suggested that the culprit is cookie issues but I dont know. I did a update last week, but apparently that didnt help :/.

based on this thread, IE 7 is not supported currently by phpbb. I have no idea why Xo are having issues with firefox :/.

Beyond switching forum software, Im not sure what can be done.

Firefox 3.6.x with No-Script is a great combo!
"The difference is, this time, we win"
- Eben Moglen
Belorn
ZoS Member

Postby odinkranz » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 am

OK, so I went home to downgrade Java to 6u22. Same thing. I don't think it's cookies coz when I close IE or FF, cookies are wiped out. I do the same while at school.

But here are the differences browsing this forum in school/work and at home.

School:
IE7 / IE8
FF (all sorts of versions from 2.x to 3.x)
Java 6U18

Home:
IE8 / IE9
FF 3.6x - 4.0
Java 6u22 - 6u24

Somehow I think it's some combination that's making this happen. Coz some PCs in school are installed with different versions of Java despite the techies having to adhere to a set guideline. So I see from Java 6U6 to Java 6U24 yet browsing at school is fine. Very bizzare indeed.
odinkranz
ZoS Member

Postby Meat Shield Darbin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 am

So I think I solved my problem and if it is what I think it is, be afraid...

Basically I couldn't get logged in from IE9 or FF4. The board kept resetting me and finally it locked me out (took a while though). Once locked out I reset my passwords and all was well. I upgraded all my systems to IE9 and FF4 and wahlah, no problems. I also run only latest three versions of Java and still run NoScript with FF4 (it is a beautiful thing).

Oh, just to verify it I logged in from IE8 with my password before I reset it and it worked just fine. I am afraid they did something to password files between 8 & 9 and 3.6 & 4 and I think it has to do with the password hashes supported in HTML5. Not sure but just a guess. Maybe someday I will go read and see if they changed from SHA1 to SHA-256 or SHA512 instead.
Meat Shield Darbin

Postby Xo-Twinblade » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 pm

purple

rather than love than money than faith than fame than fairness... give me truth
Xo-Twinblade
ZoS Member

Return to Forums